The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland is an evangelical, Calvinistic denomination, reformed in doctrine, worship and practice. It was formed in 1893 and is a mainline descendant of the historic Church of Scotland of the Reformation.
As a brief summary, we believe:
- Scripture: The Bible is the fully inspired, infallible and inerrant Word of God, and therefore the only supreme rule for faith, life and doctrine.
- God: There is one God, who decreed all things from eternity, created the entire universe in six days out of nothing, and providentially governs the whole creation continually.
- Trinity: This one God exists eternally in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Man: Man was originally created in the image of God, and his main duty in life is to know, love, glorify and enjoy God.
- Sin: All fell with Adam in his first transgression. Everyone is guilty of sin (which is disobeying God’s law), and deserves to be punished in hell for ever.
- Jesus Christ: God in his mercy sent his only begotten Son to be the Saviour of sinners. By taking human nature into union with his divine Person, Jesus Christ is both God and man. He was born of the virgin Mary, lived a perfectly sinless life, died on the cross, rose bodily from the dead, and ascended into heaven.
- Atonement: When Jesus Christ died on the cross, he was punished in the place of his people for their sins, as the only way to satisfy divine justice.
- Faith: Those who trust in Christ alone for the forgiveness of their sins, and repent, are accepted by God and will go to heaven. No one can be saved in any other way.
- The Holy Spirit: Only the Holy Spirit can bring people to faith and repentance, which he does when he regenerates them into spiritual life.
- The Second Coming: Jesus will return bodily at the Day of Judgment, when everyone who died will rise again. Those who trusted him for salvation will go to heaven with him for ever, but the rest will be cast into hell to endure conscious torment for ever.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God.
Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.